Thursday, March 22, 2012

A new book and a magical night

     I had some extra time yesterday. So, I allowed myself a trip to "Rocks and Things... Metaphysical" store in downtown Whitefish. I didn't really know what I wanted to buy, but I was hoping to find some literature on Druidry and maybe find information on other local Druids.
     I didn't find any information on other Druids in the area, but I did find a book called The Druid Handbook by John Michael Greer. I also was drawn to a flattened orb of Selenite that fit neatly into the palm of my hand and seemed very responsive to my touch. I purchased both, went home and cracked open my book.
     What a treasure-store of information! I was afraid that the historical chapters would be dry and hard to get through, but I was quickly absorbed into the fascinating information regarding the birth of the Druid Revival and its development into today's Druid spirituality. I got all the way through it and into the second part of the book, of which I read the first triad, which left me awed by the wealth of relevant information regarding Awen and the beautiful, intensely meaningful Druid philosophies regarding reincarnation- the circles of manifestation. So much information was presented that, although I could have easily kept reading further into the second and third triads within part two, I stopped after the first. I need to take time and digest the material-- maybe give myself some homework and do some activities around the topics presented. It is of utmost importance to me to be able to retain the information by memory, rather than having to refer to my book every time I'm wondering what element or season relates to each ray of Awen. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with my purchase and look forward to the beginnings of my Druidic study.
    There was a spring snowstorm yesterday, and before I retired for the evening I decided to go out and stand in the falling flakes. The darkness was so peaceful and still, and I could feel the Goddess's slow inhale and exhale resonating through everything. As I looked toward a lone streetlamp that illuminated the path skirting the pond across the road, I found myself watching for a satyr to step out of the darkness of the trees and into that circle of light. It seemed as though he was standing at the edge, just out of sight, peering at me from the bushes. The flakes of snow seemed to form a veil through which I was seeing the Otherworld, and I longed to step through it and lose myself in the mystical realm. But not yet, a small voice whispered, and I knew somehow that I must wait until further in my training to attempt such a thing. So, I said a whispered prayer to the Goddess, and chanted a slow A-oh-wen into the chill night air. She seemed to smile and pulsate around me, knowing that I was reaching out to her, before bidding me goodnight. I returned to my warm house and warm bed, to spend the night in beautiful and serene dreams.

No comments: